Get ready to make the ultimate restaurant-style creamy mashed potatoes tonight! This restaurant-quality side dish is made with tender potatoes, creamy butter, garlic powder, and herbs, giving it an irresistible flavor. Enjoy the perfect balance of creaminess and flavor in every bite. See it for yourself; you will find this is the perfect mashed potatoes recipe ever!
I have been making this creamy mashed potato recipe for almost eight years. Before this recipe, I made various mashed potatoes, which were bland, dry, and not flavorful. So eight years ago, when I was prepping Thanksgiving dinner, I added some chicken stock to my water while boiling the potatoes to see if it would add flavor. My little experiment worked, and now my mashed potatoes have become a staple in my household. Besides holidays, I always make this side dish for special occasions, especially when I make my most popular main dish, such as Guinness braised short ribs, Sous Vide Filet Mignon, and slow-cooked beef shanks with red wine sauce.
EASE: Super easy to make
PROS: It’s Delicious and is the best comfort side dish
CONS: Absolutely none
WOULD I MAKE THIS AGAIN? During all holidays.
Key ingredients to make creamy mashed potatoes:
Tools that you would need to make this mashed potatoes recipe –
- Stand Mixer – This is the best way to make the best-mashed potatoes with a creamy texture. I used my KitchenAid Pro 600 6-QT Stand Mixer with the flat beater at a low speed.
- Big stainless Steel Pot – For the quality of potatoes that this recipe called for, I used a big 12-Qt stainless steel pot to cook my potatoes. So I don’t overcrowd them and avoid boiling them over.
- Stainless steel peeler – for peeling the skin off the potatoes
- A Rectangular baking dish – For baking your mashed potatoes
Tips and tricks for making my mashed potatoes extra creamy:
- Choose the suitable types of potatoes – To make the creamiest mashed potatoes, I recommend you use Russet potatoes because of their starchiness. Other potatoes are not starchy enough, resulting in a watery consistency.
- For a creamy consistency, use dairy – Half and half, milk, cream cheese, butter, and sour cream are all essential to make your mashed potatoes to obtain that soft and creamy consistency.
- Salt is your friend – Don’t be afraid to use salt as it brings out more flavors.
- My secret sauce: Chicken Stock – Add chicken stock to the water when you boil potatoes to enhance the flavor.
- The secret weapon to fluffy mashed potatoes: use a stand mixer – I found that using a stand mixer such as a KitchenAid helps reduce your time on mashing your potatoes and, by incorporating air while whipping your potatoes, creates the fluffiest consistency.
Mistakes to avoid when making mashed potatoes
Never over boiled your potatoes –
Boil your potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes is ideal. If you cook your potatoes too long, they will become too soggy and liquidy. You don’t want them to become “potato soup,” do you?
Pick a high starch level of potatoes –
Do not use waxy potatoes such as red skin potatoes or fingerling potatoes.
Do not be afraid of salt – Cooking your potatoes in salted water is like cooking your pasta in salted water. It is a preseasoning process and adds additional flavor to the tasteless starch.
Watch the liquid – When you add half and half, follow the amount I listed in the recipe, and you can add extra half and half accordingly. Once, I added ½ a cup instead of ⅓, and my mashed potatoes turned into mashed potato soup. So watch out.
FAQs about Mashed Potatoes
Are you ready to indulge in today’s buttery, fluffy, and oh-so-creamy mashed potatoes? Whether you’re serving a big family dinner or want a comforting side dish to enjoy on a lazy night, this recipe won’t disappoint. With the perfect balance of creaminess and richness, these mashed potatoes are the perfect companion to any meal. Once you try these ultimate creamy mashed potatoes, you’ll never return to the bland and boring versions. So, let’s get cooking and enjoy every single bite!
If you loved this ultimate creamy mashed potato recipe, then you won’t want to miss out on my other delicious creations. Be sure to follow my blog and social media accounts for more mouth-watering dishes, cooking tips, and behind-the-scenes glimpses. Let’s stay connected and share our love for good food!